Farm to School programs provide hands-on, experiential learning opportunities to help students learn about local agriculture, how food grows and what it means to eat healthfully with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
From March 1, 2017 until June 1, 2017, schools across New Jersey will be invited to register for the Jersey Fresh Farm to School Recognition and Award Program to continue the statewide dialogue around this Farm to School efforts.
Farm to School activities can include, but are not exclusive to:
- Nutrition education including taste tests with produce purchased from local farms
- Harvest meals serving locally sourced products from New Jersey farms
- Farm to School curricular tie-ins that connect the cafeteria to the classroom or school garden
- Visits to or from local farms that teach students how food is grown
- School garden education that ties directly into what is already being taught in the classroom
Schools that meet the criteria in the application will be acknowledged for their Farm to School efforts by receiving a Jersey Fresh Farm to School promotional materials kit including a Jersey Fresh Farm to School banner, aprons, pencils, pins, key chains, seasonality charts and media templates to announce this recognition.
In addition, one exemplary school will be chosen for participating in the most extensive number of meaningful Farm to School activities and will be presented with the “Best in New Jersey Farm to School Award” during Jersey Fresh Farm to School Week, September 25-29, 2017.
Preview the Survey Questions Here
CLICK HERE TO ENTER <Application Deadline : July 1, 2017>